March 1st, 2013 @ 10:30 AM
Join us at the State Capitol to help raise awareness and support for our Kupuna! (RSVP and Order Lunch Below!)
There is a unique opportunity this year to have Kupuna Care funding included in the base budget. This would provide a sustainable source of revenue to provide essential services for the most vulnerable seniors and their caregivers in our community. Why is your support is so important?
click to read the facts…
- Hawaii has one of the fastest growing senior populations and the longest life expectancy in the nation, yet the base funding has remained flat for ELEVEN YEARS since 2002, while Hawaii’s senior population has increased by 30%.
- As a result, Kupuna Care programs throughout the state are facing heartbreaking wait lists.
- Kupuna Care is a state-funded, county administered program that provides basic services to frail older adults who can’t live at home without assistance. Services include home-delivered meals, personal care, help with chores and transportation assistance and are designed to prevent more costly care.
- Providing Kupuna Care Services, which enables seniors to stay in their homes and avoid costly institutionalization, can be the difference between $170 for a month of home delivered meals vs. $9,034 for a month of a semi-private room in a nursing facility.
- While supplemental funding is requested every year, this is not sustainable.
- Without continued support, Kupuna Care programs including Lanakila Meals on Wheels will be faced with growing waiting lists.
- Lanakila Meals on Wheels alone is already facing a waiting list of over 200 seniors due to limited funding that will continue to grow.
Our strength is in numbers, and we need you!
Seniors! Supporters! Volunteers!
Join us on Friday March 1st! RSVP below.