Hui Car Share, Lanakila Meals on Wheels, and UH Manoa’s Office of Civic and Community Engagement join forces to deliver emergency food care packages for seniors and individuals with disabilities. MEALS Lanakila Meals on Wheels is providing emergency food care packages for seniors and individuals with disabilities across the island. Lanakila Meals on Wheels is the … Continued
Teaching & Learning Centers
Lanakila Pacific Teaching and Learning Centers (TLC) offers adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities the opportunity to master basic life skills that are sometimes taken for granted. By focusing on each person’s individual needs, TLC provides in-house classes, community outings and recreational opportunities that help participants expand their life experiences and foster a sense of independence.
- Life Skills classes include cooking, money management/budgeting, shopping and healthy living.
- Personal Development classes include self-advocacy, public speaking, journalism and business skills.
- Community Development focuses on participation in community activities with people without disabilities. Participants join with the community in pre-existing activities such as health and fitness, arts and crafts, and volunteering.
- Prevocational Readiness develops skills necessary for participants to be successful in a work environment, such as hygiene, social skills and communication.
- Once a month, TLC offers an evening or weekend activity in the community as we recognize that our participants have interests beyond our program hours. Evening and weekend activities include local festivals, movies and theater shows.